Thursday, January 1, 2009

home and back again (A)

I guess I've always taken for granted the blessing it is to be home for the holidays. With this being my first Christmas that I've been a visitor at home, well, let's just say it was... weird. Most things about it were the same, like the seemingly endless supply of homemade fudge and caramels we always have after we put together the goody plates for just about everyone in town, but some things were different. This for example:Packing up my stuff to go back to flag was weird. And frustrating! gosh i couldn't even fit all of the stuff I had packed into my suitcase in the first place back into it! Then, i had to put everything in my tiny little car. don't get me wrong, i absolutely love my car, but let's face it, it's not the best for hauling mass cargo. (oh, and please excuse how dirty it is in this pictre. keep in mind that "home" is about a mile down a dirt road. and that's after the snow residue of flagstaff... ugh.) You're probably thinking, "well, at least it all fit in the trunk!" That, my friends, is where you're wrong. i had a kitchenaid and a vacuum in my backseat! all of this took me no less than five trips from my car to my apartment to get it all out of there. i have a feeling my thighs may be a little sore tomorrow due to the fact that i live on the second floor. which brings me to my next point. Does this sign mean nothing to people in my apartment complex? i propose that it does not! I pulled into the parking lot and found that somebody was parked in my space! I told myself that this was the last straw. i had been let down too many times today to let this one slide. so, i called the towing company (whose phone number is conveniently located at the bottom of this sign) and had those covered-parking-space-stealers towed! it was a ver exhilirating experience, and it kind of makes me hope that someone unwelcome parks in my space again just so i can have the pleasure of getting their car hauled off to the... um... well, wherever they take cars that are towed. while i was pleased with myself for having the courage to call that number, it was frustrating to have to park in the back lot. this means that i had to climb more stairs than i would have if my parking space had not been occupied. (it's complicated... you'd have to see where i live to understand.) It also means that i had to hike through more snow and ice than i would have if i would have been able to park in my space. it was frustrating, but i suppose that i did feel better when i left for wal-mart and saw the tow truck with the offender's chevy truck in tow. i think that makes the score ashley: 2 (i get two points because i got to watch the car get taken away and i got the good parking space), improperly parked truck : 0.

3 comments:

Allen and Terri said...

i hope they don't key your car now, you better be very careful, they are goin to watch and see who parks there now. dad & i could have brought some of that back for you. Love you, & I miss you already:( ...Mom

Kourtney Dawn said...

You are funny, I bet they were ticked and then its funnier hat you say it when you went to walmart!!!

Jessica said...

Good job Ash! You have to be tough out there in the real world! You go girl!